The Old Biscuit Mill

The Old Biscuit Mill in Cape Town is an old mill which has been converted into a food, craft, and clothing market which opens every Saturday. Assorted vendors from all over the city set up shop in the courtyard and inside the warehouse and tent. Loud noises from the cooking and crowds fills the ears and the multitude of aura's from all the wonderful food from all over the world fills the nostrils. Streaks of light leak through the various opening in the roofs and light up the clouds of hot steam rising from the meals. A look around and one sees the movements of bars of light across the bodies of the equally multicultural inhabitants who are eager to taste their next delicious delicacy.

This all makes for a grand audience to photograph. People aside, capturing the food is equally rewarding. During my previous trip to this wonderful place, I was accompanied by friends who gave me a chance to capture their eagerness, happiness, hungriness, and wonder.  The photographs below are some of the more successful from that day (which was over a month ago if  memory serves me right) although they do not even begin to capture the wonder of such a place. My favourites are a candid shot of a mother and child and another of a worker at one of the vendors leaning over and looking bored. The one of the mother and child is the best shot I have taken in a while as it is one in which I faced my fears of taking a picture of a stranger.














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello, world...

Black and White Forays